Shredded paper for compost??

OakCamp2 at aol.com OakCamp2 at aol.com
Sat May 18 23:24:31 EDT 2002

In a message dated 5/18/2002 9:27:53 PM Central Standard Time,
ranchmaster at resok.com writes:

> I do have a true composter.  But if I use it for mulch won't the Oklahoma
> winds just blow it away?

Perhaps, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing OK winds ;-)    Have you
ever applied any mulch material around your plants?  Marsh hay or straw?  Did
those blow away?  I usually apply mulch just before a rain- it helps to
settle it right down around the plant and when it dries just the top-most
part of the mulch will crust over leaving the mulch impervious to succeeding
winds and leaving the under parts nice and moist.  Use a good 4 to 6" of
mulch- it helps to hold it down as all that tangled paper won't let go of
each other.  Maybe try a small section to see what happens before using all
the mulch and then losing it to the wind.  Auntie Emmmmm!

Barb
Oak Camp Herb Farm