Tomato transplants damping off-in the field!

M McGuire Michael.McGuire at uvi.edu
Tue May 14 10:47:11 EDT 2002

Compost tea, manure tea, and nettle tea are excellent plant tonics and
pest/disease suppressors.  Manure tea should be made either with very well
rotted manure, or else the tea should be allowed to ferment for at least
two to four weeks, depending on temperature, in a nearly sealed
container--the CO2 gas must have an escape to prevent an unpleasant
surprise.  Stirring the solution is generally recommended.  Putting nettles
in with either of the other two is also a good option.  Another simple
approach, particularly for a one-off application at planting, is a baking
soda solution.