Market dumpers

Patrick Mulkey Mulkey at tunl.duke.edu
Mon May 13 11:09:49 EDT 2002

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Laurie Hodges
  To: Market Farming
  Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 10:25 AM
  Subject: [market-farming] Re: Market dumpers

   We have one market in the state that specifies only vendors and produce come from three adjacent counties can be sold at the market (I don't recommend this but it's their rule).

  Here in Carrboro, NC we limit the area to 50 miles radius which works well and must be locally grown. We have about 80 vendors.
  Do not write a rule that sets price ranges as the Hillsborough and Pittsboro Markets did. The State Attorney General did an investagetion including us and other small private farmer market and these two were caught. Their punishment is to sign a letter to stop this practice and probation for 5 years.
  Patrick Mulkey,
  Chapel Hill, NC