corn

sunnfarm at netscape.net sunnfarm at netscape.net
Sun Mar 24 14:15:38 EST 2002

I had used mineral oil back in 1974, it was an old idea then and just as un proven then as today, timing was everything the idea is getting the oil on just as silking begins, there is no more than a day more or less to get the oil on before earworms make there way into the ear, any delay and your time is wasted, if you want to try this method keep a close eye on your local daily IPM reports, there are many periods when there are no earworms, and times when counts are excessive, this can help you schedule applications of oil.
One thing I did learn is that the oil can damage late emerging silks causing tip kernal loss also oil does not control borers and armyworms which get into the sides of the ears, goodluck its very labor intensive personally I prefer to apply synthetic Pyrethoids...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.