Fertilizing and tomato growth

WSM311 at aol.com WSM311 at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 13:09:26 EST 2002

> I did tire stacks also last year, until I learned that the heavy metals in
> the tires can leach into the soil.  Have you ever had your soil tested
> after
> being in the tire stacks?  I'm curious if this leaching really does occur.

I have read a bazillion studies on tire leaching. I am NOT worried ;-) Tires
get used a lot by municipalities.....sometimes ground up in water
applications, in paving, etc. They have found no leaching.  I suppose it's
possible, but how do heavy metals come out of rubber? The steel belting?

> Automobile tires are composed of carbon black reinforced rubber. Typical
> composition of tires is 62% styrene butadiene copolymer rubber, 31% carbon
> black, and other materials, such as extender oils, sulfur, zinc oxide and
> stearic acid, which are present in smaller amounts.

> One of the major concerns for scrap tire derived carbon is the presence of
> leachable materials. Initial results of the U.S. EPA extraction procedure
> and soxhlet extraction are very encouraging and show that the material is
> essentially free of leachable chemicals.
http://www.engg.ksu.edu/HSRC/95Proceed/flanigan.html

Wendy   (wsm311 at aol.com)
Peace and Carrots Farm
Vermont