Product Liability

gutierrez-lagatta gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Thu Mar 7 05:27:56 EST 2002

I think it is a good idea to have it and if you have a Farm Bureau in
your state it should cost less than $200.  In my case it is based on
sales volume and the actual volume will be verified at the end of the
year.  If the market requires it then I think it is necessary, yes.
> Since I am new to the farmer's market scene, I have a question. One
market I
> attend requires proof of product liability insurance to be a member.

There was a case in California where people died from improperly
handled salad mix.  Their packing area was exposed to windblown manure
from a nearby stable or barn and they did not monitor or change their
wash water.
> really necessary if you are only selling fresh produce and no
value-added
> product? What do you guys and gals do about insurance in this
situation? I am
> trying to start a farmer's market in another town/county and need
input!

Adriana