beets

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Fri Jun 21 10:09:55 EDT 2002

Ben-
	We have successfully stored beets for months in a walk-in
cooler. We use the same method we have used for years with
carrots. Trim the beets leaving 1/4-1/2 inch  stems attached. Don't
trim the roots. This prevents the color from leaking out when the
beets are cooked. Wash the beets and drain them. Store them in
perforated plastic bags. We lay the bags on the ground before use
and puncture them with a knife (quick and dirty!). Tie the tops of the
bags. They store very well.
Pam
Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Va 23093