Replacing lawns...Ground covers?

Mmneedham at aol.com Mmneedham at aol.com
Tue Jun 11 14:29:25 EDT 2002

In a message dated 6/11/02 2:08:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, anhainer at syr.edu
writes:

> I was more curious as too whether anyone has heard of a ground cover for the
> average lawn.

I'm looking into this, too, partly because I'm tired of mowing and partly
because mowers really pollute the environment.  Clover is supposed to be
nice, but it does attract a lot of bees.  This is good for your crops, but if
you have kids who like to play in the yard, it might not be so good for them.

If you do an online search, you will find many other options.  One is to
plant a meadow of wildflowers.

One thing I have done is to mow for half the time I normally would and let
the grass I don't get to in that time grow.  I've been rewarded with clumps
of blue-eyed grass (actually an iris) and bluets and lots of insects for the
birds.  The longer grass has also have provided safe haven for at least one
little brown snake.  :-)  Something else, when the wind blows the grass looks
really pretty!  Reminds me of a wheat field.

I don't think my neighbors share my appreciation for the longer grass.  ;-)

Marj