Farming in the Heat

M McGuire Michael.McGuire at uvi.edu
Mon Jun 10 18:52:06 EDT 2002

Heat stroke can be fatal.  There are liability issues there.

I have worked with farmers in a number of different poor countries and
often they are in the field before sunup and take up to 4 hours off in the
afternoon for a hearty meal and a nap in the cellar.  That leaves them
refreshed for 4 hours of hard working in the late afternoon and early
evening.  That schedule poses difficulties in a country like the U.S.

On my farm we work until 1 or 2 and then I do paperwork and run errands
after a late lunch.  Evening is family time.

Anyway, that's my two bits.