hoop house shading

Willie McKemie mckemie at austinfarm.org
Fri Jun 7 07:55:53 EDT 2002

> We put up a 20x96 hoop house up for growing in this year.  It does not have roll up sides, and has been okay heat wise so far, but i know it is going to get too hot in there this summer.  We live in Vermont, so we only have a few days  5-6 of weather in the high 80's and 90's.  My question is this:  A former worker at a greenhouse business told me they used to make up a solution of lime and water and spray it on the outside of the plastic.  It would last until the next rain and they would re apply.

I used to use a greenhouse in the winter only; in an effort to make the
plastic last longer, I would spray it with white stuff in the spring.
The "white stuff" was sold as a shade material by greenhouse supply
places.  Don't recall the name of the stuff, but you should be able to
find it at places like BWI.

On the lime, my first guess is that it wouldn't hurt the plastic.

Willie