hoop house shading

somersfarm somersfarm at kingcon.com
Fri Jun 7 08:32:59 EDT 2002

Hey everyone,

We put up a 20x96 hoop house up for growing in this year.  It does not have roll up sides, and has been okay heat wise so far, but i know it is going to get too hot in there this summer.  We live in Vermont, so we only have a few days  5-6 of weather in the high 80's and 90's.  My question is this:  A former worker at a greenhouse business told me they used to make up a solution of lime and water and spray it on the outside of the plastic.  It would last until the next rain and they would re apply.

My concerns would be the lime eating at the plastic.  Has anyone ever done this? and is  doing this lime vs. purchasing a shade cloth a better solution.  We have talked of how we could maybe next year figure out how to do our own roll up sides.  The sides of the hoophouse do not go straight up, they are a continuous bow.  What are your experiences, and how hot can my tomatoes, cukes and peppers take?

Thanks Kathy Somers
Somers Family Farm