okra

Jim and Julie Vaughn jjvaughn at juno.com
Thu Jun 6 11:43:19 EDT 2002

Thanks to the people that recommended the Alabama extension site.
www.aces.edu/pubs/ex/EX-19/ex-194_3.htm    Looks like it has a lot of
good info for the southeast.

On their site(Rejuvenating Okra is the publication), they recommend to
cut the okra plant to a 6 " stub after the first heavy crop and market
prices drop and let it regrow for a late crop.  Has anyone tried this and
how long does it take for the plant to recover?

Also any comments about okra grown on plastic.  It seems like a lot of
trouble, but claims of 2 to 3 times the production look tempting.   We
have been planting our okra rows with white clover when they are about 2
feet tall and then mow the clover as needed.  It kept mud and compaction
down last year and seemed to help yields, but we didn't measure.  As
anyone else tried something similar?

Jim

Jim and Julie Vaughn
Rocky Glade Farm