squash bugs

Nan Johnson nan at olemiss.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:20:56 EDT 2002

Hmmm, according to studies by Rodale Institute and others (Elliot Coleman) - insects such as squash bugs indicate that our farm/garden system is "out of balance" and are merely (hah!) a symptom, not the real issue (in the long run) - once soil food web is vigorous and soil properly amended, disease/insect pressure is much less.  Plus keep up beneficial plantings, etc.

Have those of you who have been at this a long time find this to be true?  Is is true even in the south (where we have say, seven, generations of squash bugs, compared to a few generations in Mass.)

Save this question for a stormy, cold winter night!  Too much fungus to deal with now, eh!  thanks
nan
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7