grasshoppers (was squash bugs)

Robin & Steve Follette follette at ainop.com
Wed Jul 31 11:51:46 EDT 2002

>We don't have a single grasshopper where our chickens are.
>Now if we could just teach them to live where the garden is supposed to be!
>They won't even get near that area for some reason.

I lured ours to the gardens when I let them back out by moving their feed
closer to the gardens each day.  I don't put food into the container until
they're out and can see me walking to it with the five gallon bucket.  They
associate that with food.  I stopped filling the hopper in the hen house so
that they're hungry when I let them out in the morning.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm, Maine