Squash bugs!

wiediger wiediger at msn.com
Wed Jul 31 08:37:54 EDT 2002

Surround is a specially formulated kaolin clay product originally used for
protecting apple trees, then other fruit crops.  Basically, you are
whitewashing the plant.  The clay inhibits the bugs because it causes
excessive grooming to get the clay particles off, and they look for easier
places to live  It also inhibits cucumber beetles.  We only sprayed it once,
and saw a significant enhancement of the length of production.  Fewer eggs,
fewer nymphs, fewer adults.  Still, since squash only produces well about
3-4 weeks here, succession planting remains important.

Oh, and yes, it is OMRI approved.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com