Organic Certification questions

lfl at intrex.net lfl at intrex.net
Tue Jul 30 19:14:02 EDT 2002

RDHwrote: Another way to help identify yourself is to subscribe to the
American
> Homestead Foods Family Farm Project.  It is there to help family farmers
> regain their identity to the consumers: http://www.homesteadfoods.com
> From: Alex McGregor [mailto:waldenfarm at sprintmail.com]
> One of many reasons why I haven't recertified.
> I've been selling my produce direct at markets and on farm this year as
> "Ethically Grown", with only limited sales to a "health food supermarket"
> which specializes in "organic" produce.  It took some talking, but I convinced
> them that I'd been around long enough that lots of people knew my name and the
> farm name.  They sell my high dollar stuff with the farm logo and the phrase,
> "Alex McGregor, Grower."  I printed them sheets with this on it to go on their
> price signs. As Allison says, we're back in the education business, folks.  Perhaps we
> should develop regional or state orgs. as we did for certification to pool our time
> and resources to get the word out about how we are different from "organic."
> Here's a group that has been doing such for awhile:
> http://www.thefoodalliance.org/
- (forwarded from the sanet-mg list) -
Date:Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:03:58 -0400<SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
From: "William B. Thomas" <wthomas at NAL.USDA.GOV>
Bill Thomas - Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
USDA National Agricultural Library - http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/
10301 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705
301-504-5724 - wthomas at nal.usda.gov - wthomas at nal.usda.gov
-
An interesting article which recently (7/29/02) appeared in Salon...
The not-so-sweet success of organic farming
Pesticide-free, non-genetically modified food is a big, global business
now. But, ironically, small farmers are getting the shaft...

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/29/organic/index.html