nettles

Rick Williams mrfarm at frontiernet.net
Mon Jul 29 21:38:45 EDT 2002

Marie in Missouri wrote:
> How can one identify a nettle?  We have plants that we always called
> "stickers."  I wonder if that's the same?

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/images/veg/Wetland/Urtica_dioica_VK.html

This url shows a good photo of stinging nettles that we have in our area
here in the driftless area of Wisconsin.

There are plants that have "stickers" that come off on your clothes, but
that is a different plant. The stinging nettles have many fine hairs that
easily can pierce the skin and inject some very unpleasant substance.

This plant is indigenous to our area and is very abundant on our farm.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers