nettles

lfl at intrex.net lfl at intrex.net
Mon Jul 29 14:41:48 EDT 2002

Miranda Smith wrote:

>>Pulverized shell meal from Florida, sold as "feed lime" for
> livestock; sometimes high calcium limestone from Tennessee is used though I
> would try the shell meal with compost tea. If left in the compost tea tank
>>between batches it might release appreciable amounts of calcium
> without radically altering pH. >

> Regarding the shell meal: how do you use it without compost tea?

Till small amounts of it into the top 6-8" of soil in your garden
(that's my best guess). If you're worried about raising pH too much
balance it with aplication of a little wettable sulphur (this will help
break down rock or colloidal phosphate, too.)

> Certified organic growers can't use compost tea after October of this
> year.

There is life after organic and customers know that. They mostly want
locally grown because that way they can easily see for themselves what
farming methods a grower uses.
With organics the sanitation issue is for real (use of manure, etc.) and
with out of region marketing it becomes a national health issue. From
that perspective certification makes sense. Still, most local growers
don't need it and would be a lot better off working on relationships
with their customers built on trust and education: natural, biological,
regenerative, biointensive, ecological, ethical, environmentally-aware
all mean organic and locally-grown means supporting your local
committed, responsible, highly skilled small farmer to help build your
community and bioregion, have local food security, build local food
circles and work for preservation of prime farmland.