nettles

Miranda Smith mirandas2 at attbi.com
Mon Jul 29 05:30:18 EDT 2002

Mike wrote:

> Pulverized shell meal from Florida, sold as "feed lime" for
livestock;
> sometimes high calcium limestone from Tennessee is used though I
would
> try the shell meal with compost tea. If left in the compost tea tank
> between batches it might release appreciable amounts of calcium
without
> radically altering pH. >

> How are nettles grown and where are seeds available.

Dear Mike,

Regarding the shell meal: how do you use it without compost tea?
Certified organic growers can't use compost tea after October of this
year.

Secondly, stinging nettles are a common weed, but if you don't have
them, try Richter's. I imagine other suppliers also have them. Hudson
would be a good source and Johnny's might even sell them. Their name
is: URTICA DIOICA.

MIranda Smith