CAUTION Re: Garlic & home processing

lfl at intrex.net lfl at intrex.net
Sat Jul 27 01:05:09 EDT 2002


Laurie Hodges wrote:
> DO NOT HOME PROCESS GARLIC IN OIL & NEVER IF YOU INTEND TO SELL IT. The problem
> isn't "air spaces" it is botulism, which is caused by a micro-organism,
> Clostridium botulinum, you can't see or be sure you've washed it off, or

My information probably came from rec.food.preserving. I assume that
even if the garlic cloves were washed properly that the botulism spores
could exist in air trapped inside the container between the cloves
immersed in oil.  In any event they advised against preserving garlic in
oil. The R.F.P FAQ has a lot of finely tuned safety info.

> anything like that. The organism causing botulism grows without oxygen. Other
> nasties grow with oxygen. When a person gets botulism, even if they don't die,
> it is a very difficult illness involving the intensive care unit, breathing
> machines, and can take a person months to recover. 
>....> 
> Please don't try to wing it on your own. The human pathogens out there are not
> the same ones many of us grew up with. The critters evolved and some strains
> are now deadly that used to be relatively harmless or non-existant. Botulism is
> only one cause of food poisoning and not the more common one. 
> 
> Help us keep farm fresh foods and local products a positive for consumers.
> Thank you for listening. Laurie 





More information about the Market-farming mailing list