organic hay

Sussexbeef at aol.com Sussexbeef at aol.com
Fri Jul 26 03:23:57 EDT 2002

Can't speak for alalfa as I live in sandy acid area, pH too low for A; but
why use bought in fertilizers if farming Organically.

Allowable organic ferts have a use in start up perhaps if the soil is
depleted but you really need lots of Organic material to work into the soil.

I use red clover, white clover, and alsike with grasses. I also use chicory
as this is deep rooting and builds soil condition.

As I broadcast seed, I use a higher seed rate which gives thick crop more
quickly which chokes out many weeds and retains surface moisture on sandy
soils. This year I sowed at 18 kgs (40 lbs) per acre on April 8 2002 and am
ready now to mow a good cut of silage. This is farmed under Soil Association
Organic rules here in the UK.

Hope this relevant to you

Best wishes

Richard Mortimore