garlic powder

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 25 07:40:24 EDT 2002

Mary wrote:

>Okay, how do you make garlic powder?  This might be a value added for the
>restaurants....

Here's my instructions from last year.  I have an Excalibur dehydrator with
9 trays.  If you get on Excalibur's mailing list, you can usually get one
for 1/2 price in the fall or winter.  It's worth having!

I make a lot of garlic powder as follows:

I peeled the cloves, washed them, then tossed them in the food processor
fitted with the steel blade.  I used the Pulse setting until the cloves
were chopped, but not pureed.  Next, I lined  a tray of my dehydrator with
parchment cooking paper (I don't trust plastic wrap) and spread the chopped
garlic thinly over the paper.  The garlic dried overnight at 125 degrees
F.  (The house smelled wonderful!) The next morning, I peeled the dried
garlic off the cooking paper, tossed it into the blender and let it rip
until there was nothing but dust!  Once I'd turned off the blender and let
the powder settle, I poured it into an airtight spice jar.  It looks great
and tastes even better!  You can even save the parchment paper for the next
time you want to make garlic powder-just fold it up and place it in a
ziploc bag. You'll never forget what you used the cooking paper for - the
smell alone will remind you!

Enjoy!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of