curing time for garlic

Dcimmarr at aol.com Dcimmarr at aol.com
Wed Jul 24 15:16:28 EDT 2002

Garlic takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks for it to cure. During this time, the
tops if left on, which is the best choice after harvest, begin to lose
moisture and dry down. I agree the roots should be left intact as well with
the garlic hanging in a well ventilated, shaded area. One exception to this
would be is that if you live in a humid area. If this is the case, I would
recommend removing the roots after harvest and before curing. the reason for
this is that garlic roots have  the ability to pull moisture out of the humid
air which in turn will cause the bulb to take longer to dry down.
Hope this helps,
Denise Cimmarrusti
Master Gardener
Garlic Enthusiast