hoophouses and single layers

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Fri Jul 19 16:21:00 EDT 2002

We have grown cool weather crops all winter in our unheated hoophouse
here in SW Ohio. We have only one layer of plastic on it. We use heavy
row covers and buckets of water to keep things from getting too cold.

We also put out tomatoes in mid March for July harvest. In the past we
have used Wall o' Waters around the green house but this year had more
plants than WOW's so half the plants just had heavy row covers for
protection and made it through just fine and have been giving us lots of
'maters for the last 3 weeks.

Over the winter we did spring mix from Dec through April. This year we
plan on doing kale and brussel sprouts as well (we had both unprotected
last year and they did okay but not great). Granted we had a very mild
winter so if we had a normal winter we probably would not get the greens
going until Feb. I will say without the light growth is slow.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong
									Voltaire (1694-1778)