curing time for garlic

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 19 02:20:18 EDT 2002

>Hi, Folks!

> > My first year with garlic. I dug it up and hung to cure
> > about 2 1/2 weeks ago. How can I tell if it is ready?

Depends on the humidity.  Sometimes the garlic is ready in two weeks,
sometimes it takes a full month.  Good air circulation is *critical* -- if
you don't have fans, seriously look at getting some.

I run the fans for the first 48 hours after the garlic is brought in and
then anytime the heat and humidity go up.  As it 78 degrees at 2:20 am
tonight, the fans are running.  (I'm hyper about mold, I know, but I'm
selling seed stock, so I probably care more. Being able to sell your garlic
right away not only gets you ready cash, but probably helps you sleep
better at night! ;-))

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of