Garlic and Onions

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Thu Jul 18 22:20:20 EDT 2002

Sandy
 plant garlic the third week of
> then roll out big round bales of reject hay over the top. We pull
> weeds out in April. <<<<<<
>
> Can onions be grown this way too?  Planted before winter and harvested
> next spring or summer?
We tried sowing onions (Buffalo) in late summer and planting out in
late October. Then covering with rowcover for the winter. We had
a lot of winter-kill (we're zone 6b), and lots of weeds. Now we sow
in late Sept or early Oct, in a cold frame, and plant out in early
spring. That works better for us. This year I'm going to try sowing in
a bed and covering the seedlings with rowcover, then with a
portable coldframe later (so that our main coldframes can be used
for more salads).
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Virginia