market-farming digest: July 16, 2002

linda&neilkerr linda-neil.kerr at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jul 17 07:56:15 EDT 2002

We have used seaweed - (kelp) which we put through a chipper first as a
mulch (about 4") on our garlic and had an excellent harvest + the seaweed
breaks down well and feeds the soil. The downside is that it breaks down
before the garlic is ready so the last couple of months you will have to
weed - or maybe put on a thicker mulch? Of course you also have to be lucky
enough to live close to the sea as we do...

Linda Kerr