garlic question

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Tue Jul 16 22:02:56 EDT 2002

Ben,
	Here in central Virginia, we plant garlic the third week of
October, then roll out big round bales of reject hay over the top.
We pull weeds out in April.  We keep the mulch on until the scapes
form, which seems to be about three weeks before we need to
harvest, then we scrape off the mulch (onto the cabbage, broccoli
or beans next patch over). We got good sized garlic, and a 7:1
yield this year, which seems respectable for hard-necked garlic.
We used sprinklers for irrigation in the spring. We harvested at the
end of May this year. That was early - it's usually ready in early
June.
Pam Dawling
Twin Oaks Community
Louisa, Virginia