Food processing

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Mon Jul 15 06:59:32 EDT 2002

>Also - check out this site:  www.cfsan.fda.gov.  That will give you a
>start on the regs.  Your local health dept. should not have to be
>involved here...

Robert - When I was in Jefferson Co, WV, my local health department
was concerned about anything that involved food that was being sold.
One time we advertised a fundraiser for the children's school on the
property and mentioned that refreshments would be available. Although
we had a county-certified kitchen, A county health inspector first
called us and then came and inspected our site. (The upshot was that
we could only 'sell' refreshments within x-number of feet of our
kitchen door.)

More recently, the health department has told one of my commercial
egg accounts that they cannot sell my eggs (restaurant) because they
are not 'inspected.' While I think this inspector is in error, I have
not had the time to pursue the validity of this statement. The same
restaurantuer was told that in the future off-the-farm produce would
have to be inspected before it can be sold through a restaurant.

One thing that has always concerned me is that extension in both
Jefferson Co, WV and my current county in VA made any effort to stay
abreast of health laws affecting small scale off-farm sales. In fact,
they have been irritated by questions like 'How do I get my eggs
inspected?' Instead of getting answers - or, heaven forbid, mentoring
- I get routed to unknown persons at unknown offices that may oversee
such matters.

You're right on the jams, I'm sure, because we have had people
selling jams and jellies at the farmers market without health
department intervention.

-Allan