Early sweet corn varieties

Willie McKemie mckemie at austinfarm.org
Sun Jul 14 09:12:03 EDT 2002

> Also, maybe someone could help me with my newest misunderstanding: A
> seedsman told me recently that 'early variety' does not refer to
> planting early in the season but rather refers to a shorter time from
> germination to maturity: "earlies"  harvest early but are not
> necessarily meant to be planted early.

Well, if you think about it, you will understand that "early" varieties
are quick maturing varieties AND are generally planted early in the
season.  Since "early" varieties generally sacrifice some quality for
their earliness and do not compete well with slower maturing varieties
when both are available at the same time.

--
Willie