processing wheat

HackettShark at aol.com HackettShark at aol.com
Thu Jul 4 20:28:59 EDT 2002

In a message dated 7/4/02 5:45:41 PM Central Daylight Time, kampy at grm.net
writes:

> Does anyone have suggestions for cheap storage

Marie have you any type of shed, wheat stores really well in any type of wood
bin or a round steel bin as long as the steel bin has a fan.  When you
combine wheat or any thing of that order in the summer it goes through a
period of heat, the wood bin will absorb the heat period without molding but
in a steel bin you need to have a fan on it for a couple of days or it will
mold, or get a musty smell to it.

We used to raise a lot of wheat for the straw, it was worth twice as much as
the wheat, but no hog farmers left no value for straw any more.  We had an
old couple would come every year an buy 10 bu of wheat from us, them later in
the winter she would bring us fresh bread made from that wheat.  I really
don't no know they processed it rather than just fine grinding in a small
mill they had.  Sure did make good bread.

Phil from Iowa