Horse Paddock

Willie Gibson willie.gibson at uvm.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:56:02 EDT 2002

Generally, in our part of the world, I think well-cured compost is the
single best material for the natural approach.  If soil pH is low (maybe
not on volcanic soil?), then calcium carbonate (calcitic or Ag lime) or
dolomite (dolomitic or Hi-Mag lime) is applied.  A soil analysis, and
perhaps plant tissue analyses ( I understand that intensive graziers in New
Zealand use plant tissue analyses quite a bit), will be needed to discern
just what nutrients are needed and in roughly what amounts.  There must be
some kind of extension activity in Australia still?  Private laboratories
for analyses are available?
Other likely materials are rock phosphate, colloidal phosphate, guano (bat
dung, nitrogen source), potassium sulfate, potassium magnesium sulfate
(langbenite or Sulpomag/K-Mag), glauconite or greensand (potassium), rock
powders or dusts (check with local gravel/stone crushers or quarries), kelp
meal, wood ash (potassium and micros), fish meal or emulsion, etc.
A good source of info for this is ATTRA.  The web site is
www.attra.ncat.org.   Go to the publications section, and there is one
titled: Alternative Soil Amendments.  they have lots of good info.

+Willie Gibson