Grapes

Willie McKemie mckemie at austinfarm.org
Sat Apr 20 11:50:03 EDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 10:36:56AM -0400, Tom Anslow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone taken a long grape cane and buried it (while attached to the
> vine) to fill in an empty spot in the row?  We have been letting a few such
> canes grow long/far enough to fill in some places.  We have been told it is
> done all the time, but have never done it.  Any insight would be helpful.

Most grapes, muscadines excepted, root readily whether attached to the
parent or not.  Take cuttings before bud swell.  Take about four nodes
per cutting and put the lower two below the surface.  It is traditional
to cut square the end closest to the roots and angle cut the other.
Nodes should be near each end.

--
Willie