Can tomatoes cross pollinate?

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 19 10:36:58 EDT 2002

Marlin wrote:

>I have always thought of tomatoes as a self pollinating plant when grown
>under natural conditions (no deliberate hand cross pollination).  Has
>anyone else seen things like this happen in tomatoes?

The potato-leaf tomatoes are notorious for crossing.  The standard distance
between tomatoes is 20 feet to keep them from cross pollinating -- I do 25
feet and have not had any problem.

"Seed to Seed" has just come out with its 2nd edition -- I'd grab a copy at
www.seedsavers.org

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of