flea beetles & introduced species

Marcie Rosenzweig fullcircle at jps.net
Fri Apr 19 08:55:20 EDT 2002

Hi Jennie,

As an ecologist, you hubby probably also recognizes that it is
possible for an ecosystem to be so out of balance and disrupted that
some species become endangered and even die out.  Some things for him
to think about:

1. Farming is a human-introduced, artificial system.  Those of us who
strive for sustainability try to learn from  natural systems to
minimize the impact of what we are doing but we are still disrupting
what was there and replacing it with what we want.

2.  The absence of predatory nematodes (or any other "good bug")
doesn't mean they were never there.  Until a few years back, grey
wolves were absent from Yellowstone; bison are still absent from most
of their historic plains range.

3.  Introduction of a species that may have once been there or a
introduced species-specific predator to control an out-of-control
introduced species within a relatively closed system, ie the soil of
one farm/ranch, may very well be the most environmentally benign way
of dealing with the problem.

He's right to question before acting.  All possible solutions must be
considered to find the one that addresses the weak link within the
life cycle of the pest then the weak link withing the cultural system
that allowed the pest to become out-of-control.  We must always be
aware we are creating an artificial system and there will always to
consequences to that.

Marcie

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle