newbie update

Brian Murphy brmurphy at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 18 09:29:35 EDT 2002

This past January I decided to get started.  Four months later - WOW. So
little time, so much to do.........but I AM COMPLETELY ENJOYING  everything
I find time to do.

Reading is so important but I learn the most by DOING(and making mistakes).

What have I learned so far?

1 - farming is hard work ( knew that)
2 - planning ahead is crucial
3 - I need a lot more manure/compost
4 - don't order seeds or plants until you know where they will be
planted  ( I purchased too many seeds and plants)
5 - avoid even the thought " I could quit my "job" and farm full time". I
wish! But then "would it be fun?"
6 - Eliot Coleman's book is awesome, I am reading it for the second time in
3 months
7 - never plant "in a hurry"
8 - planning ahead is crucial
9 - planning ahead is crucial
10 - planning ahead is crucial
11- planning ahe..................I get it!

I have 344 messages to read over from this list, so.........thank you for
all your help.

Brian
Shamrock Gardens

Brian T. Murphy   www.mindspring.com/~brmurphy