flea beetles

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Tue Apr 16 11:05:39 EDT 2002

I have had very good results by putting sticky traps under the covers. I
use water filled bottles (the pint water bottles work great, 2 liter pop
bottles tend to be top heavy and fall over) capped and covered with
tanglefoot. the water warms up during the day and at night is warmer
that the air so the bottles attract the flea beetles all night. I have
had thousands of the critters decimating arugula and after 3 days of the
sticky bottle traps none were to be found.

Clear and white colors seems to work better than any other color. Yellow
comes in a close third, though.

This is not a long term solution like the nemetodes but will solve the
immediate problem and get your greens marketable quickly.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong
									Voltaire (1694-1778)