Why cut off Tomato Cotyledons?

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 13 07:23:58 EDT 2002

Hi, Folks!

Is there any rationale to cutting off tomato cotyledons when the plants are
a certain size or when transplanting>  I have *never* done this (I bury my
tomatoes up to their top leaves to encourage root growth) and I had a few
colleagues horrified that I didn't.  Seems to me I've had great harvests
without it -- why would anyone add such tedious extra labor?

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of