water wheel planters

Willie McKemie mckemie at austinfarm.org
Thu Apr 11 07:26:27 EDT 2002

> Does anyone have any experiences using the water wheel type transplanters?
> Good?  Bad?  No different than a mechanical type?

I have not used any other type of transplanter, but I used a water
wheel for several years and was quite pleased with it.  It plants well
through plastic.  I does need fairly loose soil; I have some clayey
places it did not do well in.  As I recall, two guys (a tractor driver
and a plant dropper) could plant 600-800 plants an hour.  We plant by
hand now and one man does 100-150 plants an hour.  I quit using the
water wheel because it is easier for me to send a guy out to plant in
little bits of spare time than it is to get organized for a big
planting session and spend my time driving a tractor.

In hot dry weather, the starter solution deposited by the planter may be
enough to get the plants through the first day or two.

--
Willie  Onward!  Through the fog!
Linux system uptime  3 days  9 hours 31 minutes