Post dereg of the Dairy biz in Australia - Part 2

HackettShark at aol.com HackettShark at aol.com
Mon Apr 8 09:56:11 EDT 2002

jgj23 at mindspring.com writes:

> Why should farmers think that anyone in the government cares about them

One thing that you left out Jay!  Everything that you do on the farm is tied
to the 95 farm bill,  jou have to have federal crop Insurance that is tied to
the program before you can obtain a operating loan and in order to be in the
progam you have to be in compliance of the siol conservation service plan for
your farm which on mine called for 42 acres of strips,borders, headland, and
terreces.  This is taking 20% of my farm out of production so I would be able
to recieve a (carrot) subsidy of $1600 appox., however the federal crop
insurance was costing us $4200 a year for 60% coverage.  When a big operator
is farming your place, the same rules do not apply.  They can and do what
they want , and when I went to the Siol Conservation Service to compalin
about all my broders being plowed up , strips that were plowed up, and all
the head lands being farmed, their coment to me was " Well do body has
complained to me about any of his farm practices".  Needless to say this
individual is or longer in our office,nor is this tenant on my land, and it
took me 4 years to get him off our land and a lot of attorney fees to get
done, large Corporations has was to muddy the waters of a standard contract
and tie things up for along time,standard eviction notices don't always work.

Phil from Iowa.