deregluation and farm planning

Marcie Rosenzweig fullcircle at jps.net
Fri Apr 5 08:51:13 EST 2002

Hi Trevor and Ron,

I work with broad range of family farmers and ranchers on business
planning and management skills.  Especially on multi-generational
operations, the inertia of decisions made in the past  and fear of
losing what has been so hard won creates a paralysis.  I don't
believe these farmers "don't see it coming,"  they're more quietly
like deer caught in the headlights and doing what they've always done
makes them feel less out out of control - more competent.

I start the dialog from family values, a phrase taken from us here in
the US some 20+ years ago that I'm trying to help farm/ranch families
reclaim.  Like the land and animals they care for, the values of each
farm/ranch family are passed from generation to generation.  It is
the recognition and reclaiming of these values that enables the
farmers/ranchers to overcome their inertia, think outside their
barns, and move forward with new visions for their operations.  Once
we have developed our Farm Visions from Family Values, we can proceed
with the development of a strategic plan to actualize and sustain
those visions that is consistent with the family's values.

Marcie - wearing my FACTS hat

MARCIE A. ROSENZWEIG
   FACTS
Farm & Agriculture Collaborative Training Systems
Curriculum Development and Training Delivery to Sustain Family Farms

(530) 885-9201
3377 Early Times Ln
Auburn, CA 95603
Full Circle Organic Farm