no poultry deliveries via air

HMSTDFRMS at aol.com HMSTDFRMS at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 19:18:50 EDT 2001

For those of you who are involved in a pastured poultry business and usually
receive your day old chicks via the US postal service, the airlines are not
accepting live chicks for delivery.  I am not sure of the rationale behind
this, as they are accepting live crickets, frogs, and honey bees.  Several of
our local producers have checked into this, and were unable to have chicks
shipped via air.  Our local pastured poultry group is extremely concerned,
and has begun contacting our state and US officials. If this policy remains
in effect until next spring, it has the potential to put many small producers
out of business.  Please contact your officials and question the right of the
federally funded FAA to allow this to happen.
Thanks for your help.
Linda
Homestead Farms