Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.

Jill Taylor Bussiere jdt at itol.com
Fri Sep 21 08:57:02 EDT 2001

Claire,
    What do you and your husband think are the reasons things have gone so wrong?

    I want to add a caveat here, though - like you, I was not surprised - still shocked though - by last Tuesday's events.  Things have been going wrong for many peoples throughout the world  - so, to me, this is a symptom of something that we have not addressed, rather than a cataclysm.  Because I feel the pain of many events in the world, this was in a way a not unique event for me - just closer to home.  I am not any more scared.  I feel for people, because so many are grieving in our country.

    What gives me hope in the midst of all the loss and grief is that like you, Claire, I see people asking questions, rejecting "war as usual", and looking for other ways to go.  I see the peace movement swelling throughout the country.  That gives me hope too.

    Our job, I feel, is to learn all we can, imagine a path from here to peace, and advocate for it.

                                                Jill