ristras (was growing leeks)

Marie Kamphefner kampy at grm.net
Thu Sep 13 18:36:23 EDT 2001

Regards to the list:

Condolences to those who have lost friends and family.  It's times like
this that one sees what is really important.

Jay, first of all, it was a terribly wet and cold spring and the rain just
kept on and kept on.  We have bottom ground that is the last to dry up
anyway.  So we didn't get a crop in.  We had it in clover, alfalfa and
brome so thought we would hay it again.  However, the guy who did the work
last year apparently cut it so short, it didn't come back.  Fine crop of
cockleburs.

One very bright spot in the whole thing.  The transplants being grown for
us were killed with weed killer.  Wonderful people on this list GAVE us
TONS of organic tomato, egg plant, pepper, lemon basil and other herb
transplants!   We planted them all with the transplanter we drove to
Indiana and got.  It worked perfectly and the plants did great at first.

The weather got terribly hot and dry suddenly.  Even with watering, the
plants struggled and barely even bloomed.  We got perhaps a bushel of
tomatoes off about 500 plants.  They died pretty fast.  The green beans
never came up with three plantings.  I lost track of how many pounds of
sweet corn seed never came up.  The pole beans died.  We did end up with
decent garlic harvested in July and a few wonderful cucumbers from the
Seeds From Italy.  Zucchini came up and died as did cantaloupe, winter
squash and watermelon.  And on and on.  This is the first time in my life
that I didn't have green beans to can.

Some other bright notes - we had an abundance of wild plums that made good
jelly.  Also, the blackberries we planted all lived and are tied up to
their wires now.  Looks like we will have lots of walnuts and
hazelnuts.  Several of the apple tree grafts we did have survived so far.

We didn't lose any lambs to coyotes this year, thanks to Minnie, the Great
Pyrenees guard dog.  We will be selling some lambs soon along with about 30
geese.

Others around us had terrible seasons too, so we're putting most of the
blame on the weather.  Some of the soybean fields around here just look
terrible.  I had knee surgery in May and I mistakenly thought I could work
in the garden after a couple of weeks.  WRONG!  My knee is just now getting
back to normal.  That may have been a factor.

All this seems so petty compared to what others are going through right
now.  My heart goes out to them.  I feel blessed.  Dori, I'm certainly glad
you didn't get that job!

Marie in Missouri