Irradiated mail and seeds

Leigh lh at pressroom.com
Mon Oct 29 10:28:20 EST 2001

>Our Quality Assurance Manager, Norma Rossel, is investigating the
>ins and outs of this potential issue.  No irradiating is happening
>yet.  Our USPS rep are telling us not to worry, that they won't be
>zapping our seed shipments.  Same word from the private carriers,
>UPS, Fed-X, etc.

The company (no competitive bids here) that is getting the contract
for the irradiators claims it will only be irradiating flats, meaning
letters, (there is a thickness issue - the technology can only
irradiate a certain thickness of paper)  This is great for those
first of the season boxes of seeds, (I understand there is a proposal
to start gassing these with -- I can't recall the agent) but how
about those 'flats' that I receive throughout the season from
Johnny's when I  realize that I don't have enough arugula or tatsoi
seed. (and since I'm on the subject we need to get back to that
mid-eastern squash variety Johnny's carried several years ago, and
not the one they carry now).

And some irradiation is starting in my area of the country, DC.  I
understand some of the mail is being shipped out to an irradiation
plant in Ohio.  This is a policy that is just being implemented.  We
need to make sure our interests are protected now, before hundreds
and hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on a technology that
causes more harm than good. The seed companies need to take the lead
in this one (they have more money and staff than us family farmers).
--