Pea trellis

Marcie Rosenzweig fullcircle at jps.net
Wed Oct 17 07:59:57 EDT 2001

Hi Jennie,

We developed a system using 1/2 inch EZ Pull conduit and PVC
connectors to build and A-frame then ran fencewire through holes
drilled in the bottom of the legs.
          ____ _____ _____ _____
         /\        /              \              /             /\
The top cross piece were 10-ft sections tied together with conduit
clamps.  The "legs" were 8-ft sections of conduit shoced into 5/8
inch PVC tees and alternating to each side of a three-foot wide bed,
At the ends, we just doubled the tees.  Drill 1/4 inch holes about  a
foot to 18 inches from the lower end of  the "legs."   Legs will push
into the ground 8 inches to one foot depnding on your soil type.  Run
plain old electrric fence wire through the holes on each side of the
bed.  Tie-off and toss cotton string from the wire on one side over
the top of the trellse to the wire on the other side, loop it under
the wire and toss it over the top again.  Tie it off and re-start it
every 20 feet to prevent disasters.  We like having a string descend
about every 8 inches.

At the end of the season, cut the cotton string at the top and botton
and put the spent plants and string in the compost pile.  Un wind the
ends of the wire and pull it back through the holes.  Take apart and
store your trellis pieces for the next year.

Voila - the Full Circle Organic Farm Trellis System.

Took us about an hour and a half to two hours to erect 100 feet of
this trellis.  Will no doubt take longer the first couple of times
and it's a two-person job.  This trellis will hold peas, beans,
cucumbers, mini-pumpkins, Carnival, acorn, sugar loaf and other small
winter squash.  I've also used it for Zucchetta Rampicante- Italian
trombone  summer squash, although those vines get heavy.

Marcie
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln