weasel

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Sat Dec 22 22:28:01 EST 2001

>In a pastured poultry setup the poultry is kept inside of
>cages that are moved every day. Weasels cannot gain access
>unless the cages are not built and managed properly.
>
>Perhaps you are thinking of "free range" poultry.
>
>Marc
>Ark Valley Farms

Actually, I think most pastured cages are made of chicken wire, not
rat wire. A medium sized weasel will easily penetrate the wire mesh
on a typical chicken tractor.

Some people get around this by running a hotwire around the portable
cage, but, boy, what a hassle that can be! (adding a battery and a
'fence' charger).

I suspect, however, that weasels don't travel too far into pastures.