Duration of juglone (walnut root residue) in soil?

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Sat Dec 22 21:14:59 EST 2001

For what it's worth: I, too, planted a row of tomatoes essentially
under a black walnut, as stupid as it sounds. The tree was a
beautiful black walnut and it was east of the main garden. In the
first two east rows, I planted tomatoes. Didn't even realize what I
did until a visitor said 'Funny, I didn't know tomatoes could grow
this close to a black walnut."

The following year, I planted winter squash in those rows. The vines
did great and in September we harvested a bumper crop of GROUND
HOGS!!! (one actually had a burrow right below the trunk of the tree.)

-Allan