Fencing the market garden

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Fri Dec 21 11:17:29 EST 2001

>Yes,  I don't remember which of the two they recommend for goats I
>use.  It works though.  Even though you would think a goat would
>jump it, they  are quickly educated -unlike the deer.
>
>And I would also like to put a plug in for their chicken netting.
>We have a real predator problem.  But since using the chicken
>netting I haven't lost a one, and the chickens that once would fly
>over every fence, don't (though that took several months of contact
>with the electric fence before they came to the conclusion that it
>was better not to risk flying into it).

I am using the premier netting for my chickens. First night I put it
up SOMETHING knocked down big sections of it. After that night, never
another problem, except, strangely one night when I was out of town
and 'someone' forgot to turn on the netting. Where I am now (a 2nd
location), a similar thing happened the first night. The fence
clearly doens't get 'tested' nightly, however, since it has been off
many times with no invasions.

Unfortunately, my Rhode Island reds routinely hop the netting
(although they will not eat near it!), much to the delight of the
ever present foxes (both grey and red).

By the way, I talked to Premier at ACRES. It's 'ok' to patch the
broken white wires with good 9 strand twine (ok, you probably already
knew that but I always need permissin from the factory) (just tie it
in there) and if those round plastic connectors break, you can use
'stick epoxy' to make a pellet to hold the lines in the right places.
I was releived to realize that I didn't really need a 'kit' in order
tokeep my netting 'hot'