Fencing the market garden

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Thu Dec 20 21:26:24 EST 2001

>Have you considered electric fencing? A lot cheaper (except for the
>initial outlay on the energiser), than conventional fencing, dead
>easy for one person to erect, fast to erect, and nearly all of the
>components (wire, insulators etc) are reusable. It can be configured
>to deal with nearly any type of beast. Also can be used to prolong
>the life of physical barrier fences which are passed their "use by"
>date. I use it extensively to keep cattle and lambs in paddocks and
>hares, wallabies and wombats out of the garden area.

Ron - Thanks for the tip. Electric is where I was last year. Now I
understand what the term 'psychological barrier' means. I need to
have a fence which is pretty much fail proof. Electric fences used to
hold goats, sheep, cows, ground hogs, rabbits, foxes and kale
poachers out of the garden are, alas, doomed to failure at some
point, even if it's simply due to a lightening strike.

I'll be honest with you: it's the damned goats that change everything.